Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Barack Obama is now the President of the United States.

On a more bitter note, the absolute disastrous administration of George W. Bush has come to an end. In recent days, conservatives and Republican hacks have taken to writing columns about how history will look back and judge this President, and that his present popularity doesn't matter. Well, they're certainly right that history will judge this President. A President brought to power by a stolen election thanks to Katherine "if you have a similar name to a felon that's good enough to remove you from the rolls" Harris and an atrocious Supreme Court decision. A President who launched a war based on false pretenses. A President who had contempt for the law and liberty, while claiming to be acting in their defense. A President who brought ineptness in the federal government to an unprecedented level. A President that only looked out for his friends ("his base", he once "joked"). A President that authorized torture and rightfully earned the United States contempt around the world. Yes, conservative pundits and other hacks, history will look back and judge the Bush presidency. Be careful what you wish for.

I also reached the last page of my Bush quote-a-day calendar. The last quote was: "I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'" Well played, Bush calendar. Well played.

On a more optimistic note, it's nice to know that our President is now a measured, intelligent, thoughtful human being. That's no guarantee of success, but it's certainly a nice start. I have higher hopes for this President then any in my lifetime. On the other hand, the other Presidents in my lifetime: Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II. Yikes. No wonder our country is in big trouble. But Obama was elected to bring change. His instinct, on the other hand, seems to be somewhat cautious. I just hope he isn't. Health care, Iraq, climate change, economic stimulus: go for it. Work with the Republicans, but don't be bipartisan just for the sake of being bipartisan. There are Democratic majorities for a reason. I hope he uses them. And follows my advice, because I'm sure the new President reads my poker blog, looking for potential political advice.

Also if the government was capable of performing basic tasks again, that would be nice too.

No comments: