Thursday, April 24, 2008

Afternoon Session

Played this afternoon, and the results look like a had a decent day:
FT $109-7th, $502
AP $20r ($140)-6th, $325
UB $65 (bounty)-3rd, $520
PS $109-14th, $353
AP $100K qual-8th, $0

Cashed in just about everything, but really tilted myself so bad that I didn't even want to play tonight. CL in FT tourney with 7 to go, then repopped button raise with 7s and called the guys all in when I really wasn't that priced in to doing so, he had JJ. Ugh. Then promptly three outed my way out of the tourney the next hand. Whatever, I deserved it for overplaying the 7s so badly. I don't really get that pissed about bad beats any more. But playing badly, THAT pisses me off. I promptly steamed my way out of two other tournaments and really had to calm myself down. Didn't happen. So didn't play tonight, even though I was planning to.

You know what I like about my blog? This is my place to be honest about my game. Ego is just everywhere in poker. So many poker players want to brag about how much money they've made, how great they are, and most annoyingly, berate other people for being inferior to the great poker players that they are. There was some guy had one of my tables recently that said that what it takes to be a poker pro is to make 5k a week. Really? 5k a week? Just doing this in my head, but that's about 160k a year. For sure, plenty of people do that. But anyone doing worse than that isn't really a pro? Please. Even more annoying is that he was probably lying his ass off. You'd think that half of being a poker player is trying to impress others with your supposed greatness, like you get extra rakeback for that or something.

Well guess what. I'm not a great poker player. I'm a good poker player. There are lots of players that are better. And at some point, I may have to decide if I have enough ambition to be a great player, if that's truly important to me, or if I'm ok just earning enough to live on and then doing other things. But it's important to me that this space is a truthful evaluation of my game. If I play well, I'll say so. If I play badly, like I did today, I'll say so. If I run good like I have recently, I'll say so. If I run bad, I'll say so. If I run so bad I go broke and have to get a real job (like a lawyer, God forbid), I'll say that too.

Anyway, not sure what prompted that little rant, but there it was.

I survived my audit! The government has accepted my proof that I was online gambling in law school, and not running my own business. Now they'll probably try and arrest me or something.

Keep adding blogs to the side as I find them. Special mention of Paul's blog, the still under construction ineverbust.com, which is both a poker blog and a blog about his (surely successful) battle with cancer, so no doubt it will be interesting. Many other good ones too.

Another two days off probably with plans tomorrow and Friday night and misc. crap to do during the day. Yeah I know. May will be a better volume month, I swear. Heartland Poker on Saturday. Ship.

No comments: