Monday, March 3, 2008

Running Bad, Playing Bad

Played a few tournaments Saturday, ran bad. Lost a race, set over set, card dead, etc., then sat around for the first hour and a half in the AP 150K before picking up QQ in the sb at 100/200 with 5k chips. Donk player on button min raises, I bump to 1400, he calls of course. Flop 5 5 2, A5 obv, gg.

Yesterday played a few big tournaments, Sunday Million on Stars, Sunday Mulligan on Tilt, Bodog 100K, AP 75k. Didn't do anything in any of them. Don't think I played well. Here's a hand I hated.

FullTiltPoker Game #5477549864: The Sunday Mulligan (40615989), Table 107 - 150/300 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:40:25 ET - 2008/03/02
Seat 1: DBmeplz (15,384)
Seat 2: str8outtacmpton (10,165)
Seat 3: brehmer (7,451)
Seat 4: BOBCATSTATE (7,690)
Seat 5: GamBaLLer21 (4,630)
Seat 6: bzimzim (5,725)
Seat 7: saint-luc (17,434)
Seat 8: tjbozz (11,752)
Seat 9: pretty work 007 (6,575)
DBmeplz antes 25
str8outtacmpton antes 25
brehmer antes 25
BOBCATSTATE antes 25
GamBaLLer21 antes 25
bzimzim antes 25
saint-luc antes 25
tjbozz antes 25
pretty work 007 antes 25
saint-luc posts the small blind of 150
tjbozz posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to bzimzim [9d 9c]
pretty work 007 folds
DBmeplz raises to 810
str8outtacmpton folds
brehmer folds
BOBCATSTATE folds
GamBaLLer21 folds
bzimzim calls 810
saint-luc folds
tjbozz folds
*** FLOP *** [6s Qc 4d]
DBmeplz checks
bzimzim checks
*** TURN *** [6s Qc 4d] [3s]
DBmeplz checks
bzimzim bets 1,200
DBmeplz raises to 3,600
bzimzim has 15 seconds left to act
bzimzim folds
Uncalled bet of 2,400 returned to DBmeplz
DBmeplz mucks
DBmeplz wins the pot (4,695)

I think calling on the flop is fine, he raised in ep but I've seen him raise with a decent starting range before. Pushing would have been too aggro I think. He checks flop, I check behind. Partially I'm worried about getting trapped, also just willing to take a free card. Given my bet on the turn, betting on the flop probably would have been better and represented more strength. Another check on the I turn, I bet and get c/r. In retrospect, I hate this play. Hate it. And if I'm willing to bet here, maybe I should be more willing to call off here. My theory in making the bet was that I wouldn't give any more free over cards and find out where I was at, but I also wonder if I didn't just give an aggro player a chance to make a play where it looked like I was weak. Also, my 9s have showdown value, why not just try to get there as cheap as possible? If he fires a big bet on the river I can evaluate then. I think given my hand strength here, I either had to bet the flop and define the hand or check behind on the turn and control the pot size. Instead I put myself in a position where I had to either fold away a good portion of my stack or really take a read and call off my whole stack with a marginal hand. Not where I want to be.

Went broke two hands later when my JJ got ran down by 77 when guy made a straight on the river. Didn't even bubble FT on cake rebuy last night per usual when guy got all in with a straight draw on the turn and hit on the river. At that point I just gave up for the day. This is probably why I don't play the volume I need to.

There's a headline on Yahoo right now that reads: "Kid Rock pleads not guilty to battery in Waffle House fight." Not even clicking the article. It's not going to get any better than that.

Hilary remains in full spin control by saying today she has the momentum in the campaign. She has now lost 11 straight primaries. Momentum is relative I guess. At the moment I would guess she'll win two of four tomorrow, although that's very much up in the air. So she has momentum like Notre Dame football has momentum after beating Stanford and Duke the last two games of the year. Anyway, my guess is that my home state of Ohio goes for Hilary, because why not? It went for Bush in 2004, why not screw our country a little bit more. Somewhat disconcerting in the usual drabble of political stories is this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_on_el_pr/democrats_nafta;_ylt=AsdbuwgVGk1KfhVFKjWTqZSyFz4D

I'm still for Obama, obviously, but I have gotten more concerned recently about his influences and potential political posturing. He's certainly got the big money people and interests lined up behind him, which both makes him electable and is disconcerting. I've never been that concerned about specific plans (i.e. health care) that get debated during the campaign, I'm looking for a candidate that is intelligent, has character and shares values. Obama has done a lot of good in his life, even before politics, such as the work he did here in Chicago as a community organizer. I just hope he's not losing his way in order to get elected. That's a slippery slope toward being Bill Clinton and not standing for anything at all. On the issue of NAFTA itself, I'm generally for trade with environmental standards and labor protections, which NAFTA did not do a good job at. I'm not for protectionism just for protectionism. If that's what Obama is essentially telling the Canadians, all well and good. But it's hard to know what that all means.

I'll play tonight I'm sure, need to get some poker in before heading to California Wednesday.

No comments: